We’ve all seen the display ads popping up on social media feeds or informational sites competing to get our attention. As a marketer engaging in display advertising, how can your ad make healthcare professionals (HCPs) stop what they are doing to read it and react? How do you break through the clutter and engage them with limited free time? Are you tired of lower conversion rates compared to search ads?
5 ideas to enhance your display advertising and increase engagement:
1. Get Emotional – Grab the attention of HCPs by tugging on their emotions. Courtney Seiter at Buffer identifies four basic emotions: happiness, sadness, surprise and anger. Though humans respond to these four emotions differently, they all encourage them to act. Use images and words that trigger one of these emotions for a stronger call to action (CTA).
2. Substantiate your message – Because 58% of viewers do not trust online ads, try to substantiate your message with relevant content. Quality data is important not only to attract HCPs but for your reputation as a respected brand. Displaying statistics from a study, for example, will add validity to your ad and encourage them to click-through to learn more.
3. Design attractive ads – We all know that display advertising is not just about the content but how it looks aesthetically. Make your ad eye-catching to stand out from the rest by balancing words, images and negative space. Choose your color palette wisely, and make your CTA button highly visible.
4. Speak to your target audience – If you want your ad to get the attention of HCPs and encourage them to act, try speaking their lingo. Start by understanding the specific group you are targeting, what makes them click, what problems they are facing, and how you can be the solution. Creating a customer profile based on your findings will make it easier to identify words that will resonate with them to incorporate in your ad.
5. Consider your venue and blend in – Before you design your ad, consider what platform you will be advertising on so you can blend in and not look like an advertisement. This is easier on social media platforms because their formats are consistent. Also try using real images exclusive to you rather than overusing stock images for all your ads. The purpose is to grab the reader’s attention with a message that is contextually relevant and not be overlooked as being any another banner ad.
In a cluttered advertising environment, competing for attention online gets more complicated with banner blindness, ad fatigue or even ad blockers. Engaging, targeted advertising, driven by quality data makes a world of difference to display advertising performance. Implement these ideas in your next ad campaign and you will see higher response rates.
Contact us to learn more about how Wolters Kluwer can help you market to healthcare professionals across our Lippincott content network, including print and online advertising, email and custom projects.
Contact us to learn more about how we can help you market to healthcare professionals across our Lippincott content network.